Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
Looking for a gluten-free, vegan breakfast that’s ready in just 20 minutes? Look no further than this simple and delicious Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats recipe! With just two ingredients, you can have a nutritious breakfast that will keep you satisfied all morning.
Oatmeal for breakfast is pretty much my morning go-to on busy weekdays. It’s simple, quick, and SO satisfying, and you can top it in so many ways.
You can make it into cookie dough overnight oats or snickerdoodle vegan overnight oats. Or, you can add some protein into them and make cookie dough protein oatmeal or cinnamon roll protein oatmeal.
With how healthy steel-cut oats are, it’s hard not to want to choose them over rolled oats when making oatmeal. But who has the time? Enter the Instant Pot: the magic machine that delivers perfectly cooked steel-cut oats in 20 minutes.
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
- You can make a big batch ahead of time, making Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats a perfect breakfast for meal preppers.
- Steel-cut oats are naturally vegan, gluten-free, and packed with a ton of vitamins and minerals like magnesium and B vitamins. Plus, steel-cut oats are high in fiber, meaning less food will keep you fuller for longer.
- Not only are Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats quick and easy to make, but they’ll please the pickiest of eaters because of how customizable a bowl of oats can be.
- With so many topping choices, you’ll have a hard time getting sick of steel-cut oats.
The Difference Between Steel-Cut Oats and Rolled Oats
Steel-cut oats are the groats (inner kernel with the inedible hull removed) of whole oats which have been chopped into two pieces. They have more fiber than rolled oats, a lower glycemic index, and fewer calories per volume.
Plus, steel-cut oats absorb less water as they cook. You’ll end up with firmer textured oatmeal than if you’d used rolled oats.
- Steel cut oats
Just like making Instant Pot coconut rice or Instant Pot rice, you need to rinse your dry steel-cut oats in a mesh strainer under water until the water runs clear.
Mix the rinsed oats with the water in your Instant Pot.
Put the lid on, make sure it’s set to “sealing,” and cook on high pressure for 7-9 minutes, depending on how creamy you like your oatmeal.
Let the Instant pot stand for 10 minutes before you do a pressure release.
Toppings & Variations
This Instant Pot steel cut oats recipe can be topped so many ways depending on your mood and diet! While oats aren’t Whole30, Paleo, or Keto-friendly, you can make this low-carb keto oatmeal instead.
|Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts…)||✓||✓||✓||✓|
Yes! You’ll end up with creamier oats.
I like my oatmeal to be creamy, so I like mine best cooked at 7 minutes. But if you’re a thick oatmeal kind of person, you may want to experiment for between 8 and 9 minutes. But don’t cook your oats any longer or they may burn to the bottom of your pot.
Yes! Make up a BIG pot of oats this week and have them for busy morning breakfasts! Just reheat, add a little milk to rehydrate, put on your favorite toppings, and enjoy.
Yes! Feel free to add any desired flavors or toppings before you close your Instant Pot lid.
How to Store Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
After letting your oats cool to room temperature, you can store leftovers in glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. If you’re planning on freezing your cooked steel-cut oats, make sure you leave enough room for your oats to expand.
Steel-cut oats will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to three months.
To reheat, put oats either in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop. If your oats are dried out, add a little milk or water to help bring back the creamy consistency.
Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
- Instant pot
- 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (GF if needed)
- 2 Cups Water
- Pinch of salt
- Place the oats in a mesh strainer. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Place the oats into the instant pot and mix in the water and a pinch of salt.
- Cover (make sure it’s set to sealing!) and cook on manual pressure for 7 minutes for creamy oats or 8-9 minutes for less creamy oats.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then do a quick steam release.
Calories from Fat 23
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 2
(per 1/4 of the recipe)
The post Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats appeared first on Food Faith Fitness.