Gluten Free Magic Cookie Bars with Coconut
These easy, vegan and paleo Magic Cookie Bars are a healthy spin on a classic treat that tastes like an almond joy!
PIN Gluten Free Magic Cookie Bars with Coconut
I meeaann, are you STILL committed to a January Whole30 after 1 WHOLE WEEK?
If so, I want to be you when I grow up.
But, for the rest of us who can’t commit to zero sugar for 30 days and are already munching through oatmeal squares and want more supremely delicious, LAYER-CENTRIC bites of chewy-ooey-gooey dessert bliss, I am coming at you with just that in the form of a recipe for magic cookie bars!
Fun fact: if you thought the gingersnap chocolate paleo magic cookie bars, chocolate paleo magic cookie bars, carrot cake paleo magic cookie bars OR tropical magic cookie bars recipe, then you are going to LOVE THESE gluten free magic cookie bars with coconut in the sense that they are my FAVORITE version yet.
Which probably (read: definitely) has something to do with the fact that the top is DRENCHED in creamy, melty, nutty almond butter. #NutButterAddict.
You should see my pantry. I have a nut butter SHELF YO.
[clickToTweet tweet=”These #Paleo & #Vegan ‘Almond Joy’ Magic Bars are both #healthy and delicious! @XobyOrganics” quote=”These #Paleo & #Vegan ‘Almond Joy’ Magic Bars are both #healthy and delicious! @XobyOrganics” theme=”style2″]
From the crispy, crunchy chocolatey crust to the rich swirls of melty chocolate chips, toasty coconut, CRUNCHY almonds and that LAYER of gooey-rich and CREAMY coconut topping, everything in my heart loves everything about these gluten free magic cookie bars with coconut.
The chocolate + almond + coconut flavor profiles that dance their way across your tongue, ending in a HALLELUJAH chorus in your hungry belly is reminiscent of a homemade almond joy bar, except without all the strange ingredients.
This magic bars recipe is one for the BOOKS.
ERRRRR, the BLOG.
Beyond the fact that these creamy-crunchy-crispy-sweet YUMS are loaded with:
- Nutty goodness
- Creamy coconut
- CHOCOLATE TO THE POWER OF 2 (HI chocolate crust AND chocolaty chip topping!)
These gluten free magic cookie bars are A-L-S-O super-fabulously awesome because you can buy A-L-L of the ingredients on XOBY Organics!
I told you about this online, one-stop-shop in the peanut butter chickpea chocolate chip cookies a few months back and, SPOILER ALERT, I’m still using them and LOVIN’ ON THEM HARD.
XOBY Organics carries a MULTITUDE of organic products, and you can shop them ALL from the comfort of your pajamas, sipping on a cup of coffee. Add your goodies to your box and they’ll ship it RIGHT TO YOUR FRONT DOOR.
Liiike, it’s SO fast to shop, the comes to your house even faster AND it’s FREE to ship the box.
Soooo, why would you NOT SHOP THIS WAY?
Exactly. You wouldn’t. Unless you don’t like saving time and energy and being an at-home person who gets to do everything from a happy, cozy COMFY COUCH. <– IE: Everyone likes doing things from comfy, cozy couches. FACT.
P.s: make sure to check out the bottom of THIS POST for a giveaway and promo code for XOBY!!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is:
- Just hang out, fill your XOBY box with your gluten free magic cookie bars ingredients: coconut flour, coconut oil, honey, chocolate chips, coconut, almond butter, coconut milk. <– your grocery list already MADE FOR YOU.
- Watch out your front window until said ingredients show up at your door.
But the watching part is optional. I might just be the only one who does that.
- Enjoy the fruits of your (not actual, because you got to chill on the couch) labor and FACE PLANT into creamy-dreamy-crispy-crunchy layers.
You should accept that mission
Gluten Free Magic Cookie Bars with Coconut
NOTE that total time does not include chilling overnight.
- 1 Can Full-fat Coconut Milk Do not use low fat! (14 oz)
- 1/2 Cup + 3 Tbsp Honey, divided (Agave for Vegan version)
- 2/3 Cup Almonds (87g)
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 Cup Coconut oil at room temperature (should be the consistency of softened butter)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut flour, Sifted (66g) * READ NOTES
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of Sea salt
- 1/2 Cup Dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp Melted almond butter, divided
- In a large pot, set over high heat, whisk together the can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of Honey (or agave), reserving the remaining honey for later. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Then, turn the heat down to medium and and simmer for 16-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce reduced to 1 Cup. **
- While the sauce boils, place the almonds and coconut on separate small pans and bake in a 350 degree oven until toasted. This takes about 4-5 minutes for the coconut and about 10-12 mins for the almonds. Once toasted, finely chop the almonds and set aside.
- While the sauce continues to cook, line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper, spraying the sides generously with coconut oil spray. Note: It helps to spray the bottom of the pan before putting in the parchment paper, to secure it.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the remaining 3 Tbsp of honey with the coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder and pinch of salt until a wet dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. This will be a little bit tough, just be patient with it. I found it easiest to use the palms of my hands, and rinse them off every so often, until the dough was pressed in. Do not bake the crust until the coconut milk mixture is done reducing.
- Once the coconut milk mixture has reduced, transfer to a measuring cup and set aside to cool and thicken a little more while the crust bakes.
- Now, bake the crust in the 350 degree oven for 7-8 mins, until the edges are lightly golden brown. Your crust will probably rise in a few areas. Once it’s out of the oven, use a small spoon to quickly press it all back down, making sure to not leave any cracks in the crust.
- As soon as the crust comes out of the often, sprinkle the chopped nuts on top, and lightly press them into the crust. Then, sprinkle on the chocolate chips evenly, followed by the coconut flakes.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture EVENLY over the top of the surface. Then, gently shake the pan around until the coconut milk mixture begins to sink between the layers. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of the melted almond butter.
- Place into the oven and bake until the sides are lightly golden brown, about 27-28 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Then, drizzle with the remaining almond butter, cover and refrigerate overnight. ***
- The next day, run a very sharp knife around the edge of the pan, slice into bars and DEVOUR
** It’s very important to have the final amount be 1 cup. So I recommend checking it around 16 minutes, if you have more than that, pour it back into the pan and simmer a few minutes longer.
*** You NEED to let these sit overnight to make sure the coconut milk really has a chance to chill and thicken.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT XOBY ORGANICS. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
XOBY Organics is being amazing, and giving YOU 15% off the total of ANY order until 02/28/18 using promo code “FFFJAN15” at checkout! AND, ONE of you can enter to win your own box filled with goodies that I have personally chosen! Entry is simple, just use the widget below:
This giveaway will run from 01/08/2018 until 01/15/2018. 1 winner will be and contacted via email within 48 hours. The winner has 48 hours to claim their prize, or a new winner will be selected in their place. Open to residents of the USA and Canada only
Calories from Fat 150
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 12 POINTS+:7 . OLD POINTS: 5
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!