The Best Men’s Grooming Kits
Men’s Journal aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission. Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best Men’s Grooming Kits
Picture this. It’s Christmas morning, and you’ve got your mug of coffee and a pastry by your side. Your spouse and children take up positions on cozy armchairs and cushions on the carpet. Your rambunctious but charming children insist that you open their present first, and hand you a rectangular box.
Peeling back the gift wrap, you reveal a small corner of the present. A men’s grooming kit. Your favorite thing! You grin, hug each of your seven children individually and kiss them on the nose for a job well done.
Grooming kits, also referred to as gift sets or starter kits, come in two forms: the shaving kind and the non-shaving skincare kind. The kit you receive for birthdays and Christmas likely depends on one of two things: Do you have a copious amount of facial hair, or do you wax poetic about men’s skincare products? The answer to those questions will likely tell you which gift set you can expect the next time presents start rolling in.
We’ve created an in-depth review of the best men’s grooming kits. So, whether you’re gifting them to the men in your life or choosing one for yourself, you’ll have all the details about each product.
Instead of giving your loved ones (or yourself) a lame Dove Men’s gift set (you know the ones we’re talking about), how about elevating it to the best men’s grooming kit – the Blu Atlas Starter Set. In the kit, you’ll find the perfect introduction to Blu Atlas, the premium brand sweeping the nation with its vegan, cruelty-free, clean self-care products.
What makes Blu Atlas so great? Their products are formulated with scientific rigor and a team of medical advisors. Their self-care products are made with 96% to 100% natural ingredients and offer incredible skin-loving benefits. Blu Atlas’ products are unisex, so you’ll likely have to hide your goodies from your partner.
The Starter Set contains everything you need to get started with a basic skincare routine, and it will fit seamlessly into your morning rituals. The box contains Volcanic Ash Face Cleanser, Body Wash, Face Moisturizer and Deodorant.
Get your morning started in the shower with the Body Wash. Glide it all over your skin, then rinse it off to enjoy a fresh bod. Follow it with the Volcanic Ash Face to scrub away any dirt, grime or other buildup, and clear out your pores.
Once you’re delightfully clean from head to toe, dry off on your rug and prepare your pits for some magic. The Blu Atlas Deodorant is an aluminum-free product that keeps your pits freaky fresh from dusk till dawn. (It does take a moment to dry, so we recommend applying before getting dressed.)
Finish your routine with the Face Moisturizer. It locks in moisture and is ideal for all skin types. If you want to get started on the right path and improve your grooming routine, you can’t go wrong with this best-selling men’s grooming kit.
P.S. Men looking for something a bit more advanced should check out the Advanced Skincare Kit. This bad boy has everything you need to gussy up rough-looking skin, improve issues like blemishes, dark circles and pigmentation, and give your skin an all-over glow-up.
Still trying to decide what to buy your rowdy nephew every year for his birthday? Once he starts growing underarm hair and talking about how wonderful women’s bodies look, you can pick up this Jack Black gift set and call it a job well done.
Once that prepubescent boy’s body starts changing, he’s going to need basic, trustworthy grooming products that help him stay clean and smell fresh. His mother will thank you, as will the person sitting next to him in math class. And you’ll earn a round of applause for saving one young man from bad BO.
Clean & Cool Body Basics have everything a man (or pubescent boy on the cusp of manhood) needs to get clean and fresh every day. Pit Boss Antiperspirant keeps those underarms free from bacteria that cause funky body odors and ushers in a manly fragrance.
The All-Over Wash for Face, Hair & Body is the ultimate dream team for guys who like all-purpose products. Use it on your face (and skip the face wash), then head over to your hair and body, and you’ll be ready for the day in less time than it takes for your next Spotify track to play. Grab your loofah and get to scrubbing, lads.
The Cool Moisture Body Lotion locks in your just-showered, crisp scent while keeping moisture trapped next to the skin. Jack Black’s Clean & Cool Body Basics is the best men’s grooming kit for guys and gift-givers who want to cover all the basics.
Now that we’ve shared the top two grooming kits for men, we’ll quickly cover a few box sets that may be perfect for the men in your life.
Anthony’s Basics Travel Size Set includes all the skincare products men need while traveling. The Glycolic Facial Cleanser, Invigorating Rush Hair + Body Wash and Exfoliating + Cleansing Bar make packing a breeze.
Keep the items in their custom travel bag and toss them into your suitcase before heading to the airport. The three-in-one system covers you from head to toe, and you won’t have to use those tiny hotel toiletries that dry out your hair and skin.
Go from dry shaving to wet shaving with this starter set that gives men everything they need for a close shave. If you’re a hairy guy looking for high-quality shaving products – or you know a hairy guy who needs some grooming – this kit is screaming your name.
Inside the bundle, you’ll find a Single Edge SE (a razor that makes shaving simple and fun), Black Label Blade Pack (eight sharp blades), Ultra Lather Shaving Cream and Healing Post Shave (a balm for your skin).
Supply’s SE razors come with Nickstop™ Technology that makes shaving safe and nick-free. Guys who’ve been shaving for decades and teen boys who have never picked up a razor in their life can use the products safely and get a nice, clean shave.
Supply’s The SE Starter Kit is one of the best grooming kits for men.
Do you experience dull skin or have a lackluster complexion? Put the groove back in your step with Acure’s Brightening Starter Kit. It’s the perfect grooming kit for men who need a little TLC for their skin.
You’ll find goodies like the Brightening Facial Scrub, Brightening Cleansing Gel, Brightening Day Cream and Brightening Vitamin C & Ferulic Acid Serum. Each product provides the skin with nourishing support as it revives dry, tired skin.
Men can use this brightening skincare set and notice results in less than two weeks. Acure’s products are 100% vegan and free from harsh chemicals like parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, formaldehyde and petrolatum.
Soak in all the skin-repairing benefits from this men’s grooming kit. It’s one of our top picks and helps men get their glow back.
The Ultimate Guide to Men’s Grooming Kits
Gents and gift givers, here are all the tricks of the trade you need to find the perfect gift or starter set. Not all men’s grooming kits are created equally, so we’ll cover the important features to look out for.
How to choose a men’s grooming kit
Need help determining what grooming kit to buy? Follow our guidelines below to find the best kit on the block.
Look For Healthy, Natural Ingredients
If you’re interested in using or gifting the best products, search for brands that use organic or all-natural ingredients. Some labels, like “organic,” “vegan” and “all-natural,” may help you identify these premium brands quickly.
Ingredients to say yes to:
- Aloe vera: Whether you’re soothing your face post-shave or just moisturizing your skin, aloe vera works wonders. Aloe vera is a natural hydrator that helps heal and repair the skin after damage or irritation. Find it in various skincare products like serums, moisturizers, cleansers and products to soothe the skin post-shave.
- Argan oil: One of Mother Nature’s finest oils, argan oil is used in a wide range of self-care products. From hair serums to hydrating lotions and moisturizers, argan oil helps reduce irritation while hydrating and nourishing the skin.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a miracle worker for distressed or dehydrated hair and skin. It’s a natural ingredient that contains an intense moisturizing treatment. You might find coconut oil in hair products that tame frizz and flyaways, or in skincare items that add moisture back to the skin.
- Green tea: Not just for your morning cuppa, green tea is present in many self-care items. Green tea is commonly used in anti-aging products due to its rich antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Any man with aging skin can appreciate the benefits of this natural botanical.
- Shea butter: One of nature’s best moisturizers, shea butter is an all-natural ingredient that offers deep hydrating benefits for the skin and hair. Products with shea butter are nourishing and help restore the hair and skin.
- Tea tree oil: It’s hard to find natural ingredients that can treat oily or acne-prone skin. Tea tree oil is one of a few natural ingredients that can treat acne breakouts and soothe inflammation. It contains natural antimicrobial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, making it the right choice for many men. The natural oil can also combat scalp and hair issues that result in dandruff, dryness or itchiness.
Avoid Harsh Ingredients
It doesn’t matter if you’re buying a shaving starter set or a gift set filled with skincare products; you should always avoid harsh chemicals and ingredients that stress out the hair or body.
In modern wellness and self-care products, some brands try to skate by (and make more profit) by using cheap “filler” ingredients. Some filler ingredients are genuinely helpful and kill bacteria and extend the shelf life of products, but they come at a cost.
These cheap, harmful ingredients stress out the skin and hair, and cause many types of irritation. We recommend avoiding harmful ingredients like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, artificial fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrolatum, formaldehyde and mineral oil.
Identify Your Skin Type (or That of the Person You’re Gifting It To)
You can’t buy skincare products if you don’t know your skin type. Before buying new skincare products – even starter sets – you should brush up on your knowledge of what products work best for you.
There are five main skin types:
- Oily or acne-prone. You’re likely well aware if you have this skin type. Oily or acne-prone skin typically has an excess of oil, especially in the T zone, and you may have acne marks, spots or blemishes on your face or other areas of the body. If you or the person you’re buying for have oily skin, buy products that treat excess sebum (oil). Many grooming kits contain basic products that work best for other skin types like dry, normal or combination, but may not have items that work for men with oily skin.
- Sensitive. Folks with this skin type often have to be extra careful with what they put on their skin. If products regularly cause irritation like redness, inflammation, bumps, rashes, itchiness, acne or more, you likely have sensitive skin. Dealing with sensitive skin can be difficult, and when shopping for this skin type, look for fragrance-free, vegan products and natural ingredients. Also, look for items free of parabens, sulfates, artificial fragrances, PEGs, formaldehyde, lanolin and mineral oil.
- Combination. Guys with combination skin often deal with a sliding scale of skin issues that stem from oiliness or dryness. Combination skin tends to waffle between the two and is sometimes normal. When choosing products for combination skin, ensure there are hydrating and blemish-fighting items.
- Normal. Normal skin is the best kind to shop for because it’s so simple. You can buy any grooming kit, and you’re done and dusted. Normal skin can typically handle any type of skincare product without experiencing any unwanted reactions.
- Dry. Dry patches, itching, cracks or flakes often indicate dry skin. Look for hydrating and nourishing starter sets, and try to avoid those with harsh ingredients. Avoid parabens, sulfates, phthalates and synthetic fragrances. Packages labeled “vegan,” “organic” and “all-natural” work best for this skin type.
Consider Your Budget
Keep your wallet handy because self-care and grooming items are known to be pretty pricey. The great thing about starter kits, though, is that they often come at an affordable price.
Grooming kits often cost between $20 and $40, depending on the products you’re buying and the ingredients’ effectiveness. Premium and high-end brands will come with a higher price tag, but be on the lookout for discounts.
High-end grooming brands like Blu Atlas offer their skincare-loving (or haircare-loving) customers a 5% discount on all bundles, which makes their premium, luxury products more attainable for every man.
Frequently Asked Questions What’s included in a men’s grooming kit?
Let’s start off with a basic starter set. If you’ve been handed (or purchased yourself) a skincare set, it will likely contain a “simple skincare routine.” This includes a face wash or cleanser, exfoliant, moisturizer and sometimes sunscreen or eye cream. On the other hand, if your grooming kit is for shaving or dealing with your beard, it will likely contain a shaving cream, beard oil or conditioning treatment, and a comb or brush.
Can I buy a men’s grooming kit as a gift?
Absolutely. Many men’s grooming kits are meant to be given as gifts. Especially around Christmas, you may notice grocery and drugstore aisles filling up with those grooming gift sets; whoever you’re gifting a grooming kit to, be sure that you find products suitable for their skin type. Grooming kits are a great way to show your appreciation and love for someone in a practical way.
What’s the best men’s grooming kit?
The Blu Atlas Starter Set is the best men’s grooming kit. It helps men dip their toes into the sea of vegan products and experiment with a best-selling brand. Blu Atlas formulates self-care goodies made with naturally derived ingredients that nourish and soothe the body. The Starter Set has everything you need to get you on your way to better skin. It’s the perfect shower time companion with Body Wash and contains all the follow-up ingredients that are essential to your grooming rituals. The Blu Atlas Deodorant makes your pits smell amazing, and the Volcanic Ash Face Cleanser and Face Moisturizer brighten up your skin while ensuring it’s clean and free from imperfections.