Healthy Sauerkraut Recipes
Print 1.Homemade Sauerkraut
Course Side Dish
Prep Time 15 minutes
Servings 8 People
- 1 Medium sized Cabbage
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Caraway seeds(optional for flavour)
- Cut eight wedge out of the cabbage and thinly slice it crosswise.
- Put the thinly sliced cabbage in a bowl and add salt.
- Rub the salt in the cabbage for 5-10 mins and add caraway seeds.
- Put all the mixture into a clean jar, cover the jar with a cloth, and fix it with a rubber band.
- Keep the jar in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Check it every 24 hours and press it downwards. Put a small mason jar to weigh it down.
- Add 1 cup of water with one teaspoon salt (if needed) afterwards.
- Leave it for 3 to 10 days at 65 degrees F to 75 degrees F.
- After three days, you can check if the sauerkraut is according to your taste. If not, ferment it for more days.
Print 2.Low Carb Sauerkraut Salad
Keyword Sauerkraut Salad
Prep Time 49 minutes
Servings 3 People
- 2 piece Chicken breast
- 3/4 kg Sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- As per taste Salt and pepper
- Take a pan and heat it. Add 1 tbsp oil.
- Cut onions into small pieces and put in the hot oil.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add the chicken pieces and cook for 10 mins.
- Add sauerkraut into the pan once the chicken is half done and simmer for 20-25 mins.
- Once the chicken and sauerkraut turn soft and cooked, turn the flame off and mix a tbsp of Greek yoghurt.
- Serve hot.
Print 3.Sauerkraut Casserole with Chicken
Keyword chicken, Sauerkraut
Prep Time 2 hours 40 minutes
- 3 Chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 Medium sized Onion
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 2 pieces Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Carrot
- 2 medium-sized Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Mushroom
- 1/3 cup Prunes
- As per taste Salt & Pepper
- Take a pan, put 1 tbsp oil, and heat it in the oven preheated for 170 C. Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, and caraway seeds and cook for 3 minutes.
- Take the onion mixture out and fry chicken drumsticks from all the sides for 3 mins.
- Add all the remaining vegetables, prunes, and sauerkraut into the pot, stir well, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cover the pot and bake for 2.5 hours. Stir in between the cooking
- Take the pot out, take out the mixture on a plate and separate the meat from the bone.
- Put it back in the pot, stir well and serve.
Print 4.Apple sauerkraut stuffing
Keyword Apple, Sauerkraut
Prep Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 10 People
- 10 cups Cubed seeded rye bread
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Chopped onions
- 2 cups Chopped apples
- 2 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups Low sodium broth
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut
- 1/2 tsp Dry pepper
- Spread bread over a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated oven 275 degrees F for about 30 mins. Take it out in a dish.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add oil, and heat it.
- After that, add onions and apples and cook for 3-5 mins.
- Lower the heat and cook for 3-5 mins more, add garlic and parsley and cook for a bit.
- Take the mixture out and spread it on the bread. Then add melted butter to it.
- Add the remaining ingredients, sauerkraut, broth, pepper, and cheese, and mix well.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and transfer the mixture into it.
- Cover it with a foil ( spray one side of the foil).
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and cook again for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.